Graduation and Early Papers
The Patent Officer
Pacifism and Zionism
Times of Peace and War
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What was the name of Einstein's first wife?
2. In what art was Einstein's mother particularly talented?
3. What does the general theory of relativity involve that the special theory does not?
4. Of the following people, who was NOT involved in matrix mechanics?
5. Of the following people, who was one of Einstein's closest friends at the patent office?
6. All of the following people formulated interpretations of Einstein's theory of relativity EXCEPT:
7. Einstein worked as a professor at all of the following institutions EXCEPT:
University of Berlin
University of Zurich
8. With which of the following theories is the formula
2 most closely associated?
The blackbody Effect
9. For which idea did Einstein win the Nobel Prize?
The relativity theory
10. Which of the following concepts did Einstein banish from physics?
The photoelectric effect
11. Einstein lectured in all of the following countries EXCEPT:
12. Who had formulated a theory of relativity prior to Einstein?
13. Einstein developed serious disagreements with all of the following thinkers EXCEPT:
14. Einstein was a citizen of all of the following countries at some point in his life EXCEPT:
The United States
15. During what period did Einstein begin to question his extreme pacifism?
World War I
World War II
Israel's War for Independence
The Korean War
16. Of the following people, who most strongly influenced Einstein's philosophy of religion?
17. With which of the following areas was Einstein's doctoral dissertation concerned?
18. How did Einstein's circle of friends in Bern refer to themselves?
The Olympia Academy
The Vienna Circle
The logical positivists
The Muppet Babies
19. Where was Einstein traveling when he learned he had been awarded the Nobel Prize?
20. Who was Helen Dukas?
Einstein's personal secretary
Einstein's fellow student
21. Of the following people, who was NOT a Zionist thinker who influenced Einstein?
22. What was the name of the theoretical physicist who preceded Einstein in his work on the blackbody effect?
J. Robert Oppenheimer
23. In order to understand the photoelectric effect, light must be thought of as:
24. Einstein's ideals included all of the following EXCEPT:
25. Einstein's hobbies as a child included:
Playing the violin
Singing French operas
26. From which institution did Einstein resign as a sign of his opposition to Nazi politics?
The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute
The University of Berlin
The Prussian Academy of Sciences
The Institute for Advanced Study
27. Which theory's confirmation propelled Einstein to fame?
The photoelectric effect
28. All of the following concepts are components of general relativity theory EXCEPT:
29. Who was Lieserl?
Einstein's mistress in Prague
Einstein's illegitimate daughter with Mileva
Einstein's sister who died at birth
30. Einstein's statement that "God does not play dice" refers to his dissatisfaction with:
Schopenhauer's "cosmic religious feeling"
Spinoza's impersonal God
31. Einstein's equivalence principle deals with the equivalence of:
Inertial and gravitational mass
Mass and energy
Space and time
Radius and curvature
32. Which of the following events happened first?
Einstein resigned from the Prussian Academy of Sciences
Einstein became famous for his general relativity theory
Einstein wrote a letter to President Roosevelt
Einstein won the Nobel Prize
33. In his 1905 paper on special relativity, Einstein refers to:
The Michelson-Morley experiment
The Eotvos experiment
Faraday's magnet-coil experiment
34. The Law for the Restoration of the Career Civil Service was targeted at:
35. Einstein relied on Marcel Grossman for help with
36. Who was Elsa Lowenthal?
All of the above
37. Where was Einstein born?
38. When did Einstein move to the United States?
39. To whom did Einstein serve as an advisor during World War II?
The U.S. Navy
The National Socialist Party
The scientists of the Manhattan Project
40. What was the cause of Einstein's death?
41. Which of the following did Einstein endorse?
The Law for the Restoration of the Career Civil Service
The Manifesto to the Europeans
The Manifesto of the 93
The Nuremberg Laws
42. Einstein's relativity is considered to have influenced the work of all of the following people EXCEPT:
43. Which of the following ideas did Einstein adopt from Schopenhauer?
Cosmic religious feeling
Cosmic background radiation
Deus ex machina
44. What was Einstein's father's profession?
45. Einstein's connection to Judaism was primarily:
46. In the years before his death, most of Einstein's work in physics dealt with the attempt to formulate which of the following?
The Theory of Everything (TOE)
Unified field theory
47. When Einstein wrote his three great 1905 papers, he was working as a:
48. Which of the following bears the imprints of Einstein's contributions to science?
The atomic bomb
The Big Bang
All of the above
49. Which of the following statements about relativity is NOT true?
At speeds close to the speed of light, a moving clock runs slower than a stationary one from the perspective of a stationary observer
Gravity is a warping of space-time that happens in the presence of mass
Without external clues, it's impossible to tell if you're being pulled downward by gravity or accelerating upward
A moving object appears to lengthen in the direction of motion, as seen by a stationary observer
50. According to Einstein's quantum theory, light behaves not simply as a wave but also as:
All of the above
51. Who reinterpreted Einstein's special relativity theory as a form of geometry?
James Clerk Maxwell
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from
6 of the Most Messed-Up Books We All Had to Read for School
Literary Protagonists Summed Up in a Single Sentence
If Julius Caesar Had Snapchat
We're Launching Our Brand New "Book of the Month" Series With To Kill A Mockingbird!