1809 - 1832
1832-1843 - Part 1
1832-1853 Part 2: Love, Marriage, and Family
1857-1860 - Part 1
1857-1860 - Part 2
1862-1864 - Part 1
1862-1864 - Part 2
1862-1864 Part 3
1861-1865 - In the White House, Assassination
1865 and Beyond
Key Terms and Events
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What state was Lincoln born in?
2. To what city did Lincoln take two trips on a flatboat during his late teens?
New York City
3. In what war did Lincoln serve as the captain of his volunteer company?
Black Hawk War
4. In what year did Lincoln first run for public office?
5. Who was Lincoln rumored to have had a passionate romance with?
Mary Baker Eddy
6. Which of the following jobs did Lincoln NOT hold during the early 1830s?
7. What party did Lincoln belong to during his first years in politics?
8. How old was Lincoln when he got married?
9. Lincoln only owned one house in his entire life. What city was this house in?
10. How many children did the Lincolns have?
11. Of the following, who was thought to be an illegitimate child?
Lincoln's youngest son
12. What Kentucky senator did Lincoln greatly admire?
John C. Calhoun
13. In what year was Lincoln elected to the House of Representatives?
14. What Democratic senator emerged as Lincoln's main political rival in the 1850s?
Robert E. Lee
15. What was the name of the controversial policy outlined in the Kansas-Nebraska Act?
The New Deal
16. What was the name of the group opposed to slavery in all forms?
17. What important Supreme Court decision declared slaves to be property, not citizens?
Brown v. Board of Education
Miranda v. Arizona
Roe v. Wade
18. In 1858, which state hosted a series of debates between Lincoln and Douglas?
19. Where did Lincoln deliver an influential speech in February of 1860?
20. What party nominated Lincoln for president in 1860?
21. In the 1860 presidential election, Lincoln won what percentage of the popular vote?
22. Who was Lincoln's vice president from 1861-1865?
23. What was the first state to secede from the Union, on December 20, 1860?
24. Which senator made an unsuccessful compromise proposal in December 1860?
25. Who directly preceded Lincoln as president of the United States?
26. Where were the first shots of the Civil War fired?
27. Where did the Union army suffer its first major defeat?
28. What incident caused tensions between the Union and Great Britain in November 1861?
Boston Tea Party
29. Who was the president of the Confederate States of America?
Robert E. Lee
30. Which of the following states did the Emancipation Proclamation apply to?
31. Which of the following was NOT a nickname bestowed upon Lincoln?
32. Which of the following bills was NOT signed into law by Lincoln?
Morrill Land Grant Act
Sherman Anti-Trust Act
33. Where did major rioting occur against the Conscription Act in the summer of 1863?
New York City
34. What Union victory prompted Lincoln to remark, "the father of waters again goes unvexed to the sea"?
35. How long did Lincoln's Gettysburg Address take to deliver?
Four hours and seven minutes
36. Who did Lincoln name as commander of all Union forces in March 1864?
George B. McClellan
William Tecumseh Sherman
37. What country led a hostile takeover of Mexico in the spring of 1864?
38. Who did Lincoln have a falling out with in 1864, only to nominate as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court later that same year?
Salmon P. Chase
39. Who ran against Lincoln for president in 1864?
John C. Fremont
George B. McClellan
40. What state was admitted to the Union on October 31, 1864, in hopes of boosting Lincoln's results in the electoral college?
41. In what speech did Lincoln utter the famous expression "With malice toward none; With charity toward all"?
First Inaugural Address
Second Inaugural Address
42. What city did Sherman burn in November 1864?
43. Which state's re-application to the Union did Lincoln speak hopefully of in his final public address?
44. Who assassinated Abraham Lincoln?
John Wilkes Booth
Lee Harvey Oswald
James Earl Ray
45. How old was Lincoln when he died?
46. Where is Lincoln buried?
47. Who succeeded Lincoln as president of the United States?
48. Which of the following amendments abolished slavery?
49. Which of Lincoln's sons went on to become a successful lawyer and politician in his own right?
50. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
The Unknown Soldier
From the SparkNotes Blog
7 Beloved Fictional Characters Who Are Secretly Terrible People
Literary Characters Summed Up in Quotes from
60 Young Adult Movie Adaptations, Ranked
Every Literary Genre Summed Up in a Single Sentence
QUIZ: Is He in Love with You, or Is He Just Obsessed with Recreating the Past?