Life According to Ginger: Post-Break Musings

Life According to Ginger: Post-Break Musings

By Contributor

After a hellishly long break, I am finally back at school! After conducting an informal survey, I have surmised that approximately 99% of the students here feel the same way I do: college is much better than home. (The other 1% are "taking the semester off.") There are certain elements of school that you never realize are freaking fantastic until they’re gone. Kind of like watching Arthur after school.

For instance, I missed my roommates more than I thought possible. I shared a room with my sister until I was 12, at which point I moved to the basement. I loved living alone, and the basement turned from the pits of despair to the pits of… well… something a lot better than despair. But having college roommates is dreamy—way better than sharing space with my sister. My roommates and I don’t fight. Well, except for when one of them says that Kelly Clarkson is anything less than perfect. You can think I’m stupid, but the truth is that it’s Cupid, baby; loving her has made me this way. Then my roommate and I fight to the death. In my case, it’s good to have someone to remind me to go to sleep, or I would probably stay on the internet forever (which was not an option before college).

Over break, I realized what a pain it is to see friends when they’re not immediately accessible/you don’t have a car. I didn’t have this problem before I was 16 because… well… we’ll just say it took me a long time to make good friends in high school. Now, a good friend of mine lives across the hall. The rest are about a half a block away. Granted, half a block is daunting when it's 3 degrees, windy, and snowing, but it’s eons better than having to beg your YOUNGER sister to use the car. Ugh. Embarrassing. I think I’ll walk over to my friend's dorm after posting this, just to gain a false sense of aptitude.

I even missed small things about campus. The air mattress at my parent’s house wasn’t nearly as comfy as my standard-issue dorm bed. The showerhead sprayed too evenly. There wasn’t any bass thumping in the distance to lull me to sleep. Nobody to talk loudly (and more often than not, drunkenly) outside my window at night. Witty graffiti is not really condoned in my parents' house.  I had to do the dishes instead of putting some handsoap in them, sticking them under the faucet, and calling it a day. Gone were the rowdy Sunday football parties. I had to eat gourmet cheese and crackers instead of deliciously off-brand foods like Honey and Nut Toasted O’s. In my dorm, pretty much everything is either right in front of you, or under the bed. None of this “I lost my keys, and now have to search all three floors of my house” thing.

Ginger’s Song of the Week: As it turns out, The Turtles not only are capable of writing legendary songs (“Happy Together”) but they have a wickedly subtle sense of humor.

What did you miss about school during winter break?

Related post: Life According to Ginger: Winter Break Lessons

Topics: winter break, roommates, life according to ginger, college life

Write your own comment!


Write your own comment!