You know college has gotten too expensive when discussions about how to pay for it tend to center on which organs you could feasibly sell on the black market. Higher education puts a premium price tag on everything, and lately the cost of attendance at most universities has become so high that only Bruce Wayne could cover the bills. Everything seems like a rip-off...especially the overpriced meal plan you’re forced to buy. With colleges basically charging you for breathing the air on campus, finding ways to stretch your meal plan just becomes smart money management. Here are a few places to start:
- Eat off your friends' plates when they aren’t looking.
- Become a busker to make enough cash for your coffee habit.
- Hang around whole foods and Costco and eat all the samples you can get your hands on.
- Become a Freegan.
- Live a priest-like ascetic existence and achieve enlightenment so you never have to eat again.
- Volunteer to clean up at a cooking school...and steal all the leftovers.
- Flirt with the bakery counter girl to get free baked goods.
- Steal the contents of the lost and found and sell it all on eBay for grocery money.
- Take up extreme couponing and eat nothing but 5-cent cans of soup for the rest of the semester.
- Attend all club meetings that advertise free food.
- Team up with a friend to take turns distracting the dining hall staff while you stuff your Tupperwares full of salad bar.
- Teach your body how to digest paper.
- Volunteer at an old folks' home. Old people love feeding anyone who looks young and thin!
- Become a high-flying executive’s personal assistant, and use the expense account for all the snacks and overpriced salads you can eat.
How will you keep from going hungry at college?