Summary & Analysis
Act one: Part Two
Act I: Part Two
Act II: Part I
Act II: Part Two
Act III: Part One
Act III: Part Two
Act IV: Part One
Act IV: Part Two
Act V: Part One
Act V: Part Two
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. Why does Gregers think his father hated his mother?
She loved Ekdal
She was obsessed by the claim of the ideal
She failed to bring him a fortune
She wanted to live at the Hoidal works
2. What does Relling consider Hialmar's misfortune?
His fantasy of the invention
His history of playing the "shining light" within his own circles
His ignorance of his wife's past
The time he must waste in the photography studio
3. Who is not at some point imagined as the wild duck?
4. What was Mr. Sorby's profession?
He was a swineherd
He was a doctor
He was a horse doctor
He was a stablehand
5. How long has it been since Gregers moved to the Hoidal works?
6. What kind of animal does not reside in the garret?
7. What game does Hedvig play in the kitchen?
The depths of the sea
The Flying Dutchman
8. What is the wine the chamberlains discuss at Werle's party?
9. For what did Ekdal go to prison?
A mining scandal
A forestry scandal
A bucket factory scandal
A gaming scandal
10. What is Ekdal's military rank?
11. Who imagines himself as the "clever dog" who retrieves the wild duck from the water?
12. When does the snowstorm begin?
13. What does Hialmar give Hedvig as her gift from the dinner party?
A wild duck
14. Who gives Hedvig the letter from Werle?
15. What does Pettersen give Ekdal at the party?
A bottle of cognac
A bottle of tokay
A slap in the face
16. How many gunshots occur in the play?
17. What instrument does Hialmar play?
18. What object does not number among the Flying Dutchman's old possessions?
An old clock
An old bureau
19. Who according to Relling suffers from a "delirium of hero-worship?"
20. Who, according to Relling, suffers from a disease of integrity?
21. When did Gina have an affair with Werle?
During her tenure as his maidservant
During her entire marriage
Immediately after her tenure as his maidservant
During his wife's illness
22. Who shot the wild duck?
23. Who is the thirteenth at the table?
24. When did Ibsen write
The Wild Duck?
25. Who does not at some point consider killing themselves with the pistol?
Hialmar Ekdal: Character Analysis
From the SparkNotes Blog
Campus Life at 100 of the Best Colleges, Summed Up in a Single Sentence
7 Books Everyone Misunderstands (And What They Actually Mean)
What to Do If You Left All of Your Required Reading Until the Last Minute
6 Fictional Characters You Would Probably Hate in Real Life
20 Incredible First Lines That Will Make You Want to Read the Rest of the Book Immediately