The Great Depression (1920–1940)
Study Questions & Essay Topics
Always use specific historical examples to support your arguments.
1. In your opinion, was Roosevelt’s New Deal a success or a failure?
2. Why did the New Deal lose steam in 1938 and 1939?
3. Which had greater immediate effect on the American economy, the First New Deal or the Second New Deal? Which had greater long-term significance after the end of the Great Depression?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Explain how three of the following affected American politics or society during the 1920s: Warren G. Harding the Teapot Dome scandal the Five-Power Naval Treaty the Sacco-Vanzetti Trial Prohibition the Scopes Monkey Trial
2. What were some of the causes of the Great Depression? How did Hoover’s policies worsen the effects?
3. How did the Great Depression and New Deal transform American politics?
4. Some contemporary critics accused Roosevelt of being a dictator. Defend or refute this claim.