We've had some big casting news for Catching Fire, the second Hunger Games movie. We confirmed that Philip Seymour Hoffman will play Plutarch Heavensbee, the Head Gamemaker who takes over for Seneca Crane. We've also taken part in some rampant speculation about the casting of some of the other characters, but here's an update on what we think and what we know (and what we think we know):
- Jena Malone has been CONFIRMED to be playing Johanna Mason, a former tribute in her twenties who returns for the events of Catching Fire. No more information without a big SPOILER ALERT for those of you who haven't read the book!
- Amanda Plummer, a three-time Emmy award winner (but not a household name), has also been cast. She'll be playing Wiress, nicknamed "Nuts". Take from that what you will.
- Now, onto the rumors! As we've reported before, Sam Claflin is in the running to play Finnick Odair. But it's looking like that's more than just rumor. Sources close to the production claim that Claflin "is the choice to play Finnick Odair."
- Melissa Leo was previously rumored to be in the running to play Mags, another former tribute, but Leo has since disclosed she's no longer being considered for the part.
- Another familiar name—Tony Shaloub (of "Monk" fame) is being considered for the part of Beetee, yet another former tribute who is also an inventor.
Thoughts? Comments? Is the studio getting the casting right or completely wrong? You have to admit they're doing something right—at least they didn't cast R-Patz as Finnick.
Who is in your dream Catching Fire cast?