Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. How plausible is the future envisioned in this novel? Specifically, do you think the author provides a convincing account of how censorship became so rampant in this society?
2. Why do you think Beatty hates books?
3. Read the poem “Dover Beach,” by Matthew Arnold. In what ways is it significant that Montag reads this particular poem to Mildred and her friends?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. How does Faber define the value of books? Does his definition of “quality” apply to media other than printed books? Do you think his definitions are accurate or not? Explain.
2. Discuss Montag’s relationship with Mildred. Is this a typical marital relationship in their culture? Discuss the role of family in the characters’ lives, particularly in relation to the TV parlor “families” and their nature and function.
3. Describe Clarisse’s effect on Montag and her function in the novel. How and why does she change him? Why does she vanish from the novel?
4. Discuss the use of quotations from literature in Fahrenheit 451. Which works are quoted and to what effect? Pay specific attention to “Dover Beach,” the Bible, and quotes from Shakespeare.
by curthis_h, December 13, 2012
seems alot like we are now
23 out of 47 people found this helpful1