Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. Discuss the significance of the Queen of Hearts in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
2. What role does the garden play in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Contrast the role of dreams in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.
2. Discuss Alice’s treatment by the different characters she encounters in the books. Why do you think they act they way they do, and what does their behavior say about Alice?
3. Discuss the role of poetry in both books. What are the differences between the poems in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass?
4. What is the significance of Alice’s fluctuations in size and shape in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland?
5. Throughout both stories, there are occasional oblique references to death. What purpose do these references serve in the stories, and why might Carroll include them?