Anne of Green Gables
Study Questions & Essay Topics
Good behavior is a subject that troubles Anne. Choose two main characters from the novel and discuss the different ways each character approaches the problem of being good.
How do Anne’s conceptions of the future evolve throughout the novel?
What role does fashion play in Anne of Green Gables? In what ways do fashion and characters’ differing attitudes toward fashion reveal differences and similarities between various characters?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Discuss the role of imagination in the novel. How does it drive plot events, and how do characters’ imaginations evolve throughout the novel?
2. Discuss the various ways loss and separation appear in the novel. How does Anne’s conception of loss change at the end of the novel?
3. How does Anne’s character change, and how does her character change those around her?
4. Why are confessions important in Anne of Green Gables? Compare Anne’s confessions and discuss how each one has a different impact on her.
5. How does Marilla’s character change as a result of Anne’s arrival at Green Gables?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!