Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. What does Ayn Rand mean by “the sanction of the victim”? What does it mean when Rearden refuses to give it at his trial?
2. Ayn Rand intended for atlas shrugged to demonstrate her philosophy of Objectivism in action. How successful was she in showing how Objectivism can work in the real world?
3. How do events in atlas shrugged support Ayn Rand’s view that capitalism is the only moral economic system?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. What role does Eddie Willers play in the unfolding drama? What does his character say about the role of the common man in the world of Ayn Rand?
2. What are the causes of the Taggart Tunnel disaster?
3. Why is Rearden willing to support his family despite their attitude toward him? What causes his position to change?
4. Is the current economic and political system in this country more like Galt’s ideal or the looters’?
5. According to Ayn Rand, selfishness is a moral and practical good. What does Rand mean by selfishness?
6. What does Francisco mean when he says, “The words ‘to make money’ hold the essence of human morality”?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!