Bird by Bird
Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. How does Lamott use writing as a therapeutic process?
2. What roles do children and childhood play in the book?
3. How does Lamott deal with the idea of sight and seeing?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. How does Lamott relate childhood and writing in Bird by Bird?
2. How can the advice in Bird by Bird be used to write books that are not rooted in reality, such as science fiction or fantasy?
3. How do Lamott’s students influence her writing and her beliefs?
4. In what ways does Lamott emphasize discipline and organization in both writing and life?
5. How does Lamott’s role as a mother affect her advice on writing?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!