The Da Vinci Code
Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. What role does wealth play in The Da Vinci Code?
2. How does the novel’s drive to educate readers on the history, art history, and symbology behind the mystery relate to its narrative flow?
3. Is The Da Vinci Code objective about the mysteries it presents, or is this novel, as many have claimed, written as a diatribe against the Church?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Does The Da Vinci Code opens doors to discussion about religion, as Dan Brown has said, or does it close them?
2. Is the depiction of women in this novel a tribute to their intelligence, or does it subtly uphold the patriarchal structures it purports to rail against?
3. In what ways is The Da Vinci Code similar to other popular novels in the thriller genre? In what ways does it depart from them?
4. How does The Da Vinci Code juxtapose ancient and modern worlds?
5. How do Langdon’s flashbacks to his teaching work in the States contribute to the narrative?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!