Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. Describe Paul’s relationship to the Fremen. Do they use Paul to achieve their ends, or does Paul use them?
2. Dune has been referred to as “science fiction’s supreme masterpiece,” yet science-fiction author Arthur C. Clarke said only J. R. R. Tolkien’s fantasy trilogy, The Lord of the Rings, could match it. Is Dune is a work of science fiction or a work of fantasy?
3. Discuss the role of loyalty in Dune.
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Discuss how the character of Paul Atreides changes through the course of Dune. Does he mature at all, or did he always act like an adult?
2. Analyze the behavior and beliefs of the Fremen. What are their morals? Are they noble freedom fighters, or simply fanatical killers?
3. How does the climate of Arrakis affect the everyday life of those who live there? What values and symbols are important on this desert planet?
4. Describe the political organization of the universe in Dune. Be sure to discuss the Bene Gesserit, the Imperium, the Great Houses of the Landsraad, and the Spacing Guild.
5. How does Jessica deal with her divided loyalties between the Bene Gesserit, the Atreides, and the Fremen? In the end, which is she the most loyal to and why?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!