Eleanor & Park
Eleanor & Park
Summary & Analysis
Prologue and Chapters 1–5
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What personal product do the other girls in Eleanor’s gym class use to deface Eleanor’s locker?
2. What mean, color-themed nicknamed do the other kids at school give Eleanor?
Big Purple Dinosaur
The Blue Baboon
Jolly Green Giant
3. What does Richie give Eleanor for Christmas?
A soggy, wadded-up pair of basketball socks
Three boxes of macaroni and cheese
A fifty-dollar bill
4. What does Eleanor give Park for Christmas?
A copy of
The Catcher in the Rye
A hand-drawn comic book
A fake Rolex
5. At the end of the school year, what happens to Tina and Steve’s relationship?
Tina and Steve decide to move to Minnesota
Tina tells Steve that she’s still in love with Park, and they break up
Tina and Steve elope
Steve tells Tina that he wants to date Eleanor, and they break up
6. When Richie kicked Eleanor out of the house for the first time, where did she stay?
With her dad
With family friends, the Hickmans
With her guidance counselor
With her aunt and uncle in Minnesota
7. When Mr. Stessman assigns Eleanor and Park’s English class to memorize a poem, what poem does Eleanor choose?
“Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night” by Dylan Thomas
“Caged Bird” by Maya Angelou
“Jabberwocky” by Lewis Carroll
“We Real Cool” by Gwendolyn Brooks
8. What is Park’s mom’s job?
She teaches martial arts classes
She teaches elementary school at the local public school
She runs a beauty salon out of his family’s garage
She works the night shift as a security guard
9. How many siblings does Eleanor have?
Four younger siblings, and the youngest is a half-sibling
Three, one older and two younger
Five, all older
Seven, all younger, and the two youngest are half-siblings
10. How does Eleanor get to have her first phone conversation with Park?
She goes over to Tina’s house and uses her phone
She uses the phone in the guidance counselor’s office
She sneaks out of the house and calls him from a pay phone
She uses her dad’s phone when she’s babysitting
11. When Eleanor goes over to Park’s house, where does she tell her mother she’s going?
To Tina’s house
To band practice
To her dad’s house
12. When the girls in gym class flush Eleanor’s clothes down the toilet, what is Eleanor forced to wear?
A moldy T-shirt
A ballet leotard and legwarmers
Her short, tight gym suit
13. What does Park ask Eleanor to start their very first conversation?
Why she’s written the title of a Smiths song on her book
Whether or not she wants to go to prom
Why she wears such unusual clothes
If she dyes her hair
14. Under what condition does Park’s dad permit him to drive Eleanor to Minnesota?
Park has to stop every four hours and call home from a pay phone
Park has to drive his dad’s truck, which has manual transition
When Park returns, he has to drive his brother everywhere he wants for a week
Park’s dad has to come with them and drive part of the way
15. What martial art does Park practice?
16. When Steve teases Eleanor and Park fights to defend her, what happens?
Park gets expelled from school, and Steve gets suspended for a week
Park is suspended for a week, and Steve gets off without any punishment
Park isn’t punished at school, and Steve is suspended for a month
Park is suspended for two days, and Steve is suspended for two weeks
17. When Richie spoils the end of Christmas dinner by flinging over the rice pudding, what does Eleanor’s mom do?
Eleanor’s mom tells the kids to smile and eat Richie’s pumpkin pie
Eleanor’s mom flings the pudding in Richie’s face
Eleanor’s mom salvages much of the pudding, and after Richie leaves, they eat it
Eleanor’s mom cries, and no one gets any dessert
18. When does Park’s mom have a change of heart and decide to accept Eleanor?
When Eleanor dyes her hair blond
When Park’s mom sees Eleanor throw a football
When Park’s mom hears Eleanor recite poetry
When Park’s mom sees Eleanor and her mom in the grocery store
19. Who has been writing the lewd notes on Eleanor’s textbooks all year?
20. Why did Richie first kick Eleanor out of the house?
She was dancing too loudly
She used too much hot water in the shower
She was typing too loudly on a manual typewriter
She was caught shoplifting
21. Why does Park start wearing eyeliner?
He is trying to cover up a scar
He is rehearsing for a play
He feels more dangerous and confident
He wants to get his father’s attention
22. What is Park’s mom’s given name, and what name does she go by in America?
Her given name is Min-Dae, but she goes by Mindy
Her given name is Ji-eun, but she goes by Jane
Her given name is Hye-jin, but she goes by Hannah
Her given name is Soo-jin, but she goes by Susan
23. When Eleanor goes to Minnesota, how does she stay in touch with Park?
She calls him once a week and writes letters every day
She doesn’t stay in touch with him, and doesn’t even read the letters he sends
She writes every so often at first, but then tapers off when her life gets busy
She drives down from Minnesota to visit him every weekend
24. When Eleanor dresses up for their first phone conversation, what does she wear?
A sparkly tutu
A black T-shirt with a music group on it
A plastic ring from a drugstore vending machine
A man’s shirt and tie
25. What does Eleanor’s mom dab behind Eleanor’s ears like a perfume?
Eleanor: Character Analysis
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Book on Your English Syllabus Summed Up in a Quote from
18 of the Most Profoundly Sad Quotes in All of Literature
7 Fictional Characters You Would Probably Hate in Real Life
Every Marvel Movie Summed Up in a Single Sentence
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert