An Enemy of the People
Explain the finances of both the paper and the baths.
How does the term "freethinking" function in An Enemy of the People?
Why did Ibsen include the character of Captain Horster?
What is the relationship between Hovstad and Billing? Are they on equal footing? Are they both sincere about their politics?
In what ways is Petra different from Dr. Stockmann?
An Enemy of the People was very popular, even though it was written out of frustration with drama critics and the liberal press. Speculate on why it was popular and whom it would and would not offend.
by SHEKOOFEH493, September 04, 2012
• The term “freethinking” is used often in the play… almost every characters except the mayor and Aslaksan are freethinkers.
• It is not Ibsen’s intent to create a play of food vs. Evil.
• The play is written in the late 19th century
• The play in many ways is about the extent to which the individual innocence can survive in modern society
• In 3rd act we see that the newspaper men are against him.
• Hovstad is not a reliable character, his support is for his attraction to Petra
• The... Read more→
50 out of 62 people found this helpful1