Summary & Analysis
Epigraph and Section 1
Conclusion: Section 32-33
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. Who refuses to speak at the everyman’s funeral?
2. What type of store did Howie and the everyman’s father own?
Dry cleaning store
3. Who or what does the everyman think of the night before the surgery that kills him?
Women in his life
Men in his life
4. What happens to the everyman after he returns to Manhattan from his trip to Martha’s Vineyard with Phoebe?
Phoebe has a stroke
He and Phoebe divorce
He loses his job
He falls ill
5. What illness or disease does the everyman have that his father and uncle also had?
6. How much time passes between the everyman’s first serious illness and his next hospitalization?
7. What is the everyman’s favorite form of exercise?
He doesn’t exercise
8. Which of the everyman’s wives/love interests is the least supportive when he is ill?
9. What does Howie hire for the everyman to help him after his first heart operation?
10. What happens while the everyman is recovering from his surgery and having an affair with Maureen?
His mother dies
His father dies
11. Where is the family burial ground?
12. After 9/11, to where does the everyman move?
The south of France
The Jersey Shore
13. Who is the only person the everyman misses from his former life in New York?
14. What does the everyman have permanently installed in his body?
15. What does the everyman teach at his retirement community?
16. What is Millicent Kramer, one of the everyman’s students, suffering from?
Heart disease, bereavement
Back pain, bereavement
Heart disease, lung cancer
Back pain, lung cancer
17. How does Millicent Kramer die?
A bad fall
She kills herself
A car accident
18. What does the everyman stop doing that Nancy tries to persuade him to do again?
Flirting with women
19. At what age does the everyman start to notice women everywhere?
20. To which city do Merete and the everyman travel to continue their affair?
21. What event causes the everyman to return home from his trip with Merete?
His wife dying
His mother’s stroke
22. What was the everyman planning to do that he cancelled after Phoebe’s stroke?
Start dating again
Have a painting exhibit
Return to New York
23. How does Ezra Pollock say he is feeling when the everyman calls him to talk about Ezra’s terminal cancer?
24. After learning he is to have another carotid artery surgery, where does the everyman want to go on holiday?
Nancy’s house in Manhattan
25. What is the job of the man the everyman meets in the cemetery he visits before his final surgery?
The everyman: Character Analysis
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Book on Your English Syllabus Summed Up in a Quote from
17 of the Most Iconic Lines in All of Shakespeare
Every Marvel Movie Summed Up in a Single Sentence
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
10 Fictional Characters Who Are Way Worse at Flirting Than You