Go Tell it on the Mountain
Go Tell it on the Mountain
Summary & Analysis
Part One: "The Seventh Day"
Part Two: "The Prayers of the Saints" - "Florence's Prayer"
Part Two: "The Prayers of the Saints" - Gabriel's Prayer
Part Two: "The Prayers of the Saints" - Elizabeth's Prayer
Part Three: "The Threshing-Floor"
Full Book Quiz
Part One: 'The Seventh Day'
Part Two: 'The Prayers of the Saints' - 'Florence's Prayer'
Part Two: 'The Prayers of the Saints' - Gabriel's Prayer
Part Two: 'The Prayers of the Saints' - Elizabeth's Prayer
Part Three: 'The Threshing-Floor'
For Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. How old is John Grimes on the day the novel takes place?
2. Where do the Grimeses live?
3. What do John and Elisha do while they are cleaning the church on Saturday evening?
They use profane language.
They spit on the floor.
They steal hymnbooks.
4. According to the terminology used in John's church, what is the name for the lay members who have been saved?
5. What does John do with his birthday money?
He buys a magazine.
He sees a movie.
He hides it.
He gives it back.
6. What provokes Roy to challenge his father directly?
His father strikes his mother.
His father grounds him.
His father forces him to become a priest.
He sees his father steal a bicycle.
7. What is Gabriel's response to Roy's challenge?
He lectures Roy on filial duty.
He forces Roy to go to church.
He whips Roy with a belt.
He begins to pray.
8. Who does Florence see standing in her room?
A mysterious child
9. What is the last straw for Florence, pushing her to quit her job and buy a ticket to New York?
Gabriel comes home drunk and makes a fool of himself.
Her mother refuses to pay for more schooling.
Deborah marries Gabriel despite Florence's disapproval.
Her employer offers to make her his concubine.
10. Where does Florence's husband Frank die?
11. What does Deborah write in her letter to Florence about Gabriel?
That she thinks he is running away to New York
That she believes he has a bastard son
That he may have killed his first wife
That he is the best preacher ever
12. What does Florence carry in her purse and hope to use as a weapon against Gabriel?
A sharp stick
13. How does Gabriel meet Esther, the woman by whom he has his illegitimate son?
They are neighbors.
They are cousins.
They worship in the same church.
They work for the same family.
14. What does Gabriel invite Esther to do?
Attend his sermon
Come to a traveling revival
Accompany him to a gospel concert
Join him for a picnic
15. How long does Gabriel and Esther's affair last?
16. What takes place the day before Gabriel sees his illegitimate son Royal for the last time?
17. How does Royal die?
In a knife fight
In the war
In a train wreck
In his sleep
18. Where does Elizabeth's aunt bring her when she takes Elizabeth away from her father?
New York City
19. Which of the following is NOT one of Richard's pet names for Elizabeth?
20. How does Elizabeth meet Florence?
They belong to the same church.
They work as cleaning women in the same building.
They live on the same block.
They bring their children to the same park.
21. How does Gabriel view Elizabeth and her infant son John?
As reincarnations of Esther and Royal
As a sign from God that he is forgiven
As innocent people poisoned by Florence's bitterness
As spiritual guides for his soul's difficult journey
22. What does John believe may be the cause of a curse upon him?
The fact that he stole gumballs from the drug store
The fact that he challenged his father to a fight
His hatred for his younger brother
The fact that he saw his father naked
23. Walking home from the tarry service, who confronts Gabriel?
24. What time of day is it when the worshippers leave the temple in the last scene?
25. What does Elisha give John before leaving him on his doorstep?
A Bible with an inscription
A decoder ring
A kiss on the forehead
Context Quick Quiz
From the SparkNotes Blog
All the Books on Your English Syllabus, Summed Up in Pop Songs
7 Iconic Movie Characters Who Were Totally Different in the Book
Campus Life at 100 of the Best Colleges, Summed Up in a Single Sentence
7 Fictional Characters Who Didn't Deserve to Have a Happy Ending
QUIZ: Which Type of Person Are You in Group Projects?