1. Why is Gulliver so eager to assert his own country’s importance to the Brobdingnagians? How does this desire compare to the Lilliputians’ desire to assert their importance to Gulliver?
2. What is the significance, if any, of the order in which Gulliver’s journeys take place? How does each adventure build on the previous one?
3. What is the allegorical significance of the floating island of Laputa?
4. Why does Gulliver keep traveling despite his many misfortunes?
5. Why does Gulliver want to stay with the Houyhnhnms? Does his desire make sense in light of the other societies he has visited?
6. How do the Lilliputians view the threat that Gulliver represents?