Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix
Study Questions and Essay Topics
1. Hermione insists on freeing all of the House Elves at Hogwarts, even the ones who do not wish to be freed. What role do slavery and enslavement play in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Who else in the book, besides the elves, is enslaved? How do notions of freedom play into the narrative?
2. Harry and his godfather, Sirius Black, share a very close relationship. What are their similarities and differences, and how do those factors affect their friendship?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. What happens to Harry’s relationship with Cho Chang? Why doesn’t it work out? How does Harry feel about the results?
2. Fred and George storm out of Hogwarts to pursue other interests in the city, namely their joke shop. How do Ron and Hermione react to Harry’s news that he’s funding this venture?
3. The pressure and expectations of the O.W.L. exams hang over all fifth-year students at Hogwarts. What does Rowling suggest about the importance of standardized testing?
4. What changes for Harry over the course of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? How has Harry himself changed by the end of the novel?
5. How does Rowling use character names to indicate character traits? What do the main characters’ names suggest about their personalities?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!