Summary & Analysis
Chapter 19 and Epilogue
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Themes, Motifs, and Symbols
Chapter 19 and Epilogue
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. Who gave Brian the hatchet?
The pilot on the phone
2. How did the pilot of the plane die?
A passenger killed him
In the plane crash
3. What was "the secret" to which Brian's thoughts often wander?
That his father is seeing another woman
That Brian wants to run away from home
That his mother is pregnant
That his mother is seeing another man
4. What happened during Brian's car ride with his mother from the city to meet the plane?
Brian's mother tried to get him to talk about what was wrong
Brian started crying in front of his mother
Brian's mother yelled at him
Brian told his mother he knew about the secret
5. What was Brian's father's job?
6. What was the purpose of Brian's trip to the Canadian woods?
He was going on a camping trip
He was going to visit his father
He was going to visit his uncle
He wanted to learn how to fly a plane
7. How did Brian's father feel about the divorce?
He had asked for it himself
He felt it was better for Brian
He did not want it
He was indifferent
8. What led to Brian's eventual rescue?
He found a transmitter in the plane wreckage
Rescuers sent out by his parents eventually found him
Hikers discovered his camp and took him to the nearest town in their van
The pilot emerged from a coma and knew of their location
9. Why does Brian suddenly realize that he may be out there in the woods for longer than he had anticipated?
No one knew he was taking a trip
There are no cities nearby
He heard once on television that search parties cancel the search after two days
He had bumped the wheel of the plane during the ride, changing the course
10. When Brian has to fly the plane himself after the pilot's heart attack, what prior experience helps him?
He used to fly with his Uncle Carter
He had watched the pilot very closely
The pilot had let him take the controls for a few minutes earlier in the ride
He had read a lot of books and seen a lot of movies about planes
11. What were Brian's thoughts on the plane ride?
Of his father's business
Of a girl he had a crush on
Of his parents' divorce
Of his baseball team
12. Where did Brain decide was the best place to land the plane?
In a field
On a road
On a mountain
On a lake
13. What did Brian see on a bike ride with his friend Terry?
His mother with a strange man with short blond hair
A car accident
A fight between his parents
14. What is the first food that Brian finds in the woods?
15. Where did Brian see a bear?
Right outside his shelter
In the berry patch
Atop a mountain
In the lake
16. What kind of animal hurt Brian?
17. Who appeared in Brian's dream to show him how to make a fire?
18. What kind of eggs does Brian find to eat?
19. What tool did Brian have to reinvent?
A fishing rod
A bow and arrow
20. After a plane flies overhead and does not spot him, by which method does Brian try to kill himself?
With his hatchet
Jumping off a cliff
21. Why does Brian take four baths a day at a certain point?
He is bored
He was sprayed by a skunk
He feels dirty out in the wilderness
So his smell will not be detectable by bears
22. What was sticking out of the water after the big storm?
A dead deer
Pieces of Brian's shelter
23. How did Brian get out to the plane in the middle of the lake?
He ripped off a piece of his shelter and floated on it
He built a canoe from his memory of a book he had read about Native Americans
He built a raft
24. What happened when Brian was trying to cut into the side of the plane?
He dropped his hatchet
He plane sank down to the bottom of the lake
His hatchet broke
25. How did Brian feel about the rifle he finds in the survival pack?
He thought it would be better for hunting than what he had been using
He did not like it
He had always wanted a rifle like that
He has the same rifle back home
Context Quick Quiz
Brian Robeson: Character Analysis
From the SparkNotes Blog
7 Disturbing Details from Classic Novels (That You Probably Don't Remember)
Classic Novels Summed Up in
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
In Defense of Daisy Buchanan
5 Famous Books Whose Original Titles Would Have Changed Everything