Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. The book focuses on the lives of three women. How do they relate to the men in their lives?
2. The three women of The Hours contemplate every aspect of the world around them. How does this impact the choices they make?
3. How does The Hours treat the topic of suicide?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. How does war, specifically World War I and World War II, shape the perspectives of the characters in the book?
2. What significance do domestic objects have? Who relies the most on domestic objects for comfort?
3. How does memory function in the Clarissa sections of the book? Is she fully content with the choices that she has made?
4. How does reading Mrs. Dalloway affect Laura?
5. Does Cunningham’s formal device of mirroring Clarissa Vaughn’s life on Woolf’s Clarissa Dalloway make Clarissa Vaughn’s character believable, or does the choice seem like a gimmick?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!