The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. How does Malcolm X’s understanding of racial identity change over the course of his life? Consider the different phases of Malcolm’s life.
2. How does Malcolm X’s view of white people change over the course of his life, and why? Consider the different phases of Malcolm’s life.
3. What role do women play in the autobiography of malcolm x?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Why does Malcolm go into the details of his early life in Michigan, Boston, and New York?
2. How do the lessons and skills of Malcolm’s life on the street influence his demeanor as a political leader?
3. What, in Malcolm’s experiences, draws him to an activism more militant than the nonviolent activism of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
4. In one speech about the need for blacks to identify with the nonwhite peoples of the world Malcolm X says, “You can’t hate Africa and not hate yourself.” What experiences lead him to make this statement?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!