My Sister’s Keeper
Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. Is Sara’s and Brian’s choice to conceive Anna to be a genetic match for Kate morally justified?
2. What is the significance of fire in the story?
3. Astronomy and the stars play a part in this story, from Brian’s hobby to the origin of Anna’s name. In what way do these things relate to the action in the story?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. What motivates Anna to file the lawsuit, and how does this motivation relate to Anna’s stated intent to gain control over life with the lawsuit?
2. Are Brian and Sara equally good parents to all three of their children? Have they treated them equally?
3. Sara’s chapters take place almost entirely in the past. What is the significance of this?
4. What is the significance of the story of Taylor Ambrose, and why is Sara the one who tells it?
5. Which character changes the most, and which changes the least?
6. Thematically, how does Julia and Campbell’s relationship fit into the story arc of the Fitzgerald family?
7. What are the central ethical questions present in this story? By the end of the novel, have any of these questions been answered in one way or another?