Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. Compare and contrast Johnny and Dally. What roles do they play in the novel? What roles do they play In Ponyboy’s life?
2. Discuss Ponyboy’s evolving conception of the Socs. How does his opinion of the Socs at the end of the novel differ from his opinion at the beginning?
3. How is “Nothing Gold Can Stay,” the Robert Frost poem that Ponyboy recites to Johnny at the church, relevant to Ponyboy and Johnny’s story?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. What draws Cherry to the greasers? Why is she with Bob? Why does she say she could fall in love with Dally?
2. Discuss the role of the novel’s physical setting. How does the division between the East Side and the West Side represent the conflict within the novel itself?
3. Compare and contrast the Curtis brothers, Darry, Sodapop, and Ponyboy. How does their relationship change over the course of the novel?
4. Think about the role of physical violence in the novel. Is the violence shocking, predictable, boring, or melodramatic? Do you think such violence has a different effect on readers today than it did when the novel was first published?
by jmm0411, September 02, 2012
Eyes represent the way Ponyboy feels about certain characters! For example Darry has icy blue ices because Ponyboy feels least comfortable with him.
55 out of 80 people found this helpful0
by harrygirl320, September 13, 2012
For once, I actually recommend really reading this book...its pretty interesting
33 out of 67 people found this helpful0