Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Study Questions and Essay Topics
1. Why does Dumbledore think it is so important for Harry to learn more about Voldemort’s past? How do they go about gathering this information?
2. What causes the tension between Ron and Hermione, and how is it resolved?
3. Why doesn’t Draco Malfoy kill Dumbledore?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. What role does Quidditch play in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince?
2. Why does Horace Slughorn insist on surrounding himself with potentially influential young wizards? What does he stand to gain from these relationships?
3. What lies ahead for Hogwarts? Do you think the school should reopen or remain closed?
4. Why does Rufus Scrimgeour call Harry “Dumbledore’s man, through and through”?
5. Why do Ginny, Hermione, and Mrs. Weasley dislike Fleur? How does she prove them wrong?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!