Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. Did the horn on the wall of Xenophilius Lovegood’s house come from a Crumple-Horned Snorkack or an Erumpent?
2. Throughout the book, Dumbledore’s character is questioned by a number of characters, including Harry himself. What is Dumbledore’s assessment of his own character, and how accurate do you think that assessment is?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. How does Harry change over the course of the novel? Is The Deathly Hallows a true coming-of-age story?
2. In what way do Ron and Hermione act as foils for Harry, drawing out his qualities and characteristics more clearly?
3. What does it mean, in this novel, to “master death”? Who in the novel shares this desire?
4. In what ways do the dead speak to the living in this book?
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!