George Bernard Shaw
Summary & Analysis
Full Book Quiz
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. BY what name does Eliza address Freddy the first time that they encounter each other?
2. When the Flower Girl gets in the taxi at Covent Garden after the thunderstorm, where does she initially tell the taxicab to take her?
27A Wimpole Street
Bucknam Pellis [Buckingham Palace]
The Ambassador's garden party
Angel Court, Drury Lane
3. Higgins claims that English is the language of:
The noblest race
Shakespeare, Milton, and The Bible
4. Why does the crowd hiding from the rain get so upset with Higgins for taking notes of the Flower Girl's speech?
They think that he is a busybody plainsclothes policeman who won't leave an innocent girl alone
They think he is trying to take advantage of her
They think he has not enough gumption to get his own taxi
5. What have Pickering and Higgins written respectively?
Sanskrit in Mime; Higgins Says
Dialects of India; Higgins' Guide to Phonetics
Spoken Sanskrit; Higgins' Universal Alphabet
The Speech of Gentlemen; How to Make a Duchess in Six Months
6. How does Eliza Doolittle dress herself up when she visits Higgins to ask to take speech lessons?
She takes a long-overdue bath
She wears a blue kimono with cunning white flower embroidery
She brings her voluble father as a reference
She wears three mismatched ostrich feathers in her tattered hat
7. What reason does Higgins give for deciding to take on the experiment?
He wants to prove to Pickering that he is indeed the greatest teacher alive
Eliza's presence in the house will be an amusement to Mrs. Pearce
Only to shut the girl up from all her dreadful crying
Because life is but a series of inspired follies, and one must never lose a chance to commit one
8. After she threatens to leave because is so unfeeling, what does Henry give Eliza to convince her to stay?
Half a chocolate cream
A silk handkerchief
A blue kimono
9. What does Eliza usually wear to sleep?
A ragged nightgown
Her day clothes
10. When Alfred Doolittle says he is willing to sell his daughter for fifty pounds, Pickering asks him if he has no morals. Alfred says what in response?
"What's the good of morals?"
"Have you any?"
"Can't afford them."
"My wife won't let me have any."
11. All of the following witness Eliza Doolittle's phonetic debut at Mrs. Higgins' at-home except:
Mrs. Eynsford Hill
Clara and Freddy
12. Which of the following summarizes Higgins' essential attitude towards women?
"They'd never want me."
"Pretty girls are a dime a dozen."
"What are women?"
"They're all idiots."
13. What does Freddy think Eliza is speaking when he meets her at Mrs. Higgins' at-home?
The new small talk
14. Upon finding out about the experiment, Mrs. Higgins thinks that her son and his friend Pickering are:
15. Who claims that Eliza must be a Hungaraian princess?
16. What does Eliza fling in Higgins' face
The money he lent her
His damned slippers
Her rotten flowers
17. Eliza has been called all the following except
The beauty of the Orient (by the Ambassador)
Heartless guttersnipe (by Higgins)
A common girl (by Mrs. Pearce)
Darling, darling, darling (by Freddy)
18. When Freddy catches Eliza running out of Higgins' house, what is she actually on her way to do?
To ask her father to take her back
To jump into the river
To offer her services to Nepommuck
To sell all the jewelry she has stolen from the house
19. From whom does Eliza say she learns self-respect?
20. Why does Higgins tell Eliza she should return to with him?
For the fun of it
For the hell of it
For the aesthetics of it
For the science of it
21. Who does Eliza marry in the course of the play, to a viewing audience's understanding?
22. For what organization must Alfred Doolittle lecture in order to make three thousand pounds a year?
The Church of England
The American Philanthropic Brotherhood
The Wannafeller Moral Reform World League
The Fabian Society
23. How much money does Alfred Doolittle want for his daughter from Higgins?
Three thousand pounds a year
24. "A-a-a-a-a-ah-ow-ooh!" is the favorite call of which of following characters?
25. The last act shows the characters getting ready for whose wedding?
Alfred Doolittle and his woman's
Higgins and Mrs. Pearce
Pickering and Eliza's
Clara and H.G. Wells'
Context Quick Quiz
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Person You'll Meet in High School, Summed Up in a Single Sentence
8 Books That Actually SHOULD Be Banned
Tell Us Your Least Favorite Book & We'll Tell You If You're Going to Flunk Out of High School
Is This Fall's Funniest & Most Relatable Movie
5 Shakespeare Villains You Really Wouldn't Want As An Enemy