The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. Explain how each of the four friends is an “outsider” in her world.
2. How are the girls different from one another? Do these differences strengthen or weaken their friendship?
3. What do the Traveling Pants do for the girls? What do the Pants ultimately represent for them?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. How does friendship save the lives of the four friends, either literally or metaphorically?
2. Describe the role men and boys play in the novel. What lessons about friendship can we learn from them?
3. Imagine that you’re Tibby, interviewing one of the girls. Write out the scene.
4. How does each girl approach the search for love, either platonic or romantic?
5. What life lesson does each girl learn during the summer, or how does each girl change?
6. Explain the significance of one of the chapter-opening quotations and how it relates to the chapter contents.
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!