The Kite Runner
Study Questions and Essay Topics
1. What role does religion play in the lives of Baba, Amir, and Assef, and in the novel as a whole?
2. How does the author, Khaled Hosseini, use irony in the novel?
3. What is the significance of rape in the novel?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. How do Amir and Hassan represent the divisions in Afghan society, and how do these divisions affect the courses their lives take?
2. How does the author use time as a narrative device in the novel?
3. How do the political events that occur in Afghanistan shape the lives of Amir, Hassan, and Assef?
4. In what ways does Amir seek redemption and why?
5. How do the relationships between fathers and sons affect the events of the novel?