Three Cups of Tea
Study Questions and Essay Topics
1. What factors enable Mortenson to develop trust, first with the Korphe villagers and later with other Pakistanis?
2. How do political conditions change during the course of the book, and how do they relate to Mortenson’s mission of building schools?
3. How does the sport of mountain climbing relate to Mortenson’s project of building schools in Baltistan?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. How does Greg Mortenson’s character change during the course of the book?
2. How do Jahan, Tahira, Shakeela, and Fatima exemplify the impact of Mortenson’s work? What are the differences and similarities among the four girls?
3. How does the American way of doing things differ from the Balti way?
4. How does Mortenson’s early life experience influence the choices he makes as an adult?
5. Why does Mortenson believe that educating girls is the key to improving Pakistani life?
6. What are some of the different attitudes among Pakistanis toward Americans and other Westerners?