1. Often, the three protagonists of Ulysses are understood in terms of a spectrum, with Stephen and Molly on either end and Bloom’s personality combining elements of each. In what ways might Stephen and Molly be similar?
2. If Bloom and Stephen are the “heroes” of Ulysses, which characters are their “enemies” and why?
3. Discuss how teaching and learning figure into the novel. Can you pinpoint specific scenes that seem to be about teaching? Does Ulysses have an argument about how teaching and learning should work?
4. Can you make a case for Bloom as an artist?
5. How does the concept of home work in Ulysses? How do the main characters relate to their real and their ideal homes? Does “home” have a political import?