Study Questions & Essay Topics
1. What are the differences between the relationship of Yury and Tonya and that of Yury and Lara?
2. In the novel, many different characters encounter each other in what seem like coincidental occurrences. Does fate play a role in the story? How?
3. Trace the development of the relationship between Lara and Komarovsky.
4. Is Tonya correct in saying that Yury does not love her? Why or why not?
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Why does Zhivago tell Strelnikov that Lara loved him more than anyone?
2. Why does Zhivago stay in Varykino instead of accompanying Lara to the east?
3. Why does Zhivago try only halfheartedly to be reunited with his family in Paris?
4. How does Yury's character develop through the course of the novel?
5. Is Yury the only protagonist of the novel? Is there an antagonist?
6. Identify one major theme in the novel and explain how it relates to the development of Yury's character.
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!