It’s what every Harry Potter fan simultaneously hopes for and fears: a new Harry Potter book! While J.K. Rowling has been mum on whether there’s another book in the works, she hasn’t turned her back on the beloved series. There are rumors that she's working on a Harry Potter encyclopedia, and the (somewhat disappointing but much hyped) website Pottermore contains some new content fleshing out backstories and delivering small tidbits to satiate readers. Rowling’s even said she’s open to the possibility of another Potter book in the future.
But what if there was a new Harry Potter novel in the works? Here are six things we’d love—and hate—to see in any new Harry Potter book.
1) MORE NEVILLE. At the beginning of the Harry Potter series, Neville was a short, round, almost-Squib, though he never lacked for bravery. By the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, though, Neville came into his own. We’d love to see a sequel featuring him.
2) PREQUELS. The magic world is vast, and time is long. How about a book about the first fight against Voldemort? Or even the rise of the dark wizard Grindelwald, as he’s prominently featured in the last Harry Potter book? Or Rowling could even head back to the founding of Hogwarts? The possibilities are really endless here.
3) SIRIUS BLACK. He must be brought back to life. Somehow, some way. It has to be done. (Okay, it probably won't be. But we can keep hoping.)
4) KIDS? REALLY?? One thing we don’t want to see is the magical exploits of the Potter/Weasley kids—Harry had an eventful enough life. Let’s let his kids (and Hermione’s and Ron’s) grow up normally. Plus there’s just too much cheesiness potential here.
5) A SIDE STORY. This is one that’s actually been considered by Rowling—telling a parallel story in the same universe. We know how the fight against Voldemort ends, but what was Bill Weasley doing? What brought Percy to Hogwarts to reunite with his family at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? There’s a lot of potential here!
6) REWRITES. Another possibility Rowling’s mentioned is doing “Directors Cuts” of some of the earlier novels, rewriting them to include more material. We say NO. The Harry Potter books are sacred. Let’s leave them be.
What do you say Mindhutters? A new Harry Potter book, yay or nay? What would you like to see?