Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Part I: Zarathustra's Prologue
Part I: Chapters 1–10
Part I: Chapters 11–22
Part II: Chapters 1–7
Part II: Chapters 8–18
Part II: Chapters 19–22
Part III: Chapters 1–9
Part III: Chapters 10–16
Part IV: Chapters 1–9
Part IV: Chapters 10–20
Characters and Terms
Suggestions for Further Reading
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. Who is the first person Zarathustra encounters when he descends from his mountain?
A tightrope walker
2. Who among the following is the most like Zarathustra?
The tightrope walker
The last man
3. When Nietzsche praises "war," what is he praising?
The battle of the sexes
The massacre of the weak and the sick
4. Which of the following is the culmination of the "three metamorphoses"?
5. To whom are one's enemies most similar?
6. Who of the following died at the right time?
7. At the beginning of the Part II, what does Zarathustra see when he looks in the mirror?
8. What do the "tarantulas" preach?
The doctrine of the will to power
9. What is the only thing that has unchanged in Zarathustra since his youth?
10. What must everything that lives do?
Believe in God
11. Which of the following could we say the soothsayer predicts in Part II?
A resurgence of Christianity
The coming of the overman
The death of Zarathustra
12. Which of the following is NOT one of Zarathustra's forms of "human prudence"?
Giving alms to the poor
Being willing to be deceived from time to time
Scoffing at the "evils" we concern ourselves with
13. In which of the following ways does Zarathustra's "ape" differ from Zarathustra?
The ape thinks solitude is important to growth and development
The ape thinks human society encourages mediocrity
The ape hates humans
The ape believes in God
14. How did the gods die, according to Zarathustra?
From choking on a snake
Because people stopped believing in them
From fighting with each other
15. Which of the following is NOT one of the "three evils"?
The lust to rule
16. What makes Zarathustra so ill in "The Convalescent"?
He swallows a snake
He starts believing in God
He realizes that humans must recur eternally just as they are
He can no longer endure his solitude
17. What is the conscientious in spirit doing when Zarathustra first meets him?
Digging for gold
Searching for the higher man
18. Which of the following is NOT a possible explanation for the death of God?
He pitied humans too much
People stopped believing in him
Zarathustra killed him
The ugliest man killed him
19. Who does the voluntary beggar think he can learn from?
20. How long is the time span of Part IV?
21. Who is NOT in Zarathustra's cave at the end of the book?
The last man
The ugliest man
22. Of the following, who does NOT sing a song in Part IV?
The conscientious in spirit
23. What does Zarathustra find his companions praying to?
The higher man
A golden calf
24. Which of the following moments in the New Testament is NOT alluded to in
The Last Supper
Jesus's forty days in the wilderness
The breaking of the Seven Seals
The death of John the Baptist
25. Which of the following moments in the Old Testament is NOT alluded to in
The Ten Commandments
Jonah and the whale
The building of the golden calf
From the SparkNotes Blog
The Surprising College Majors of 8
NEVER FORGET: The Most Questionable Celebrity Halloween Costumes of All Time
Edgar Allan Poe Stories Ranked by How Creepy They Are
As Told in a Series of Texts
Campus Life at 100 of the Best Colleges, Summed Up in a Single Sentence