1. John, a high school sophomore, occasionally drinks one beer. His friends don’t
care. His parents, however, are very upset and punish him severely. John responds by sneaking
alcoholic beverages whenever he can. John’s drinking illustrates
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the four elements of control that Travis
3. According to Robert Merton’s strain theory, an educated person who stays in the
same job without advancement for years is a
4. William Chambliss’s study of teenage boys demonstrated the power of
5. Which contribution has conflict theory made to the understanding of deviance?