1. You can eat nothing but hot Cheetos and apple sauce and no one will judge you.
2. You get to scan the cafeteria and play cool games like imagining what everyone’s career will be in ten years and what they will look like when sixty.
3. IF YOUR MOM GOES ALL OUT AND PACKS YOU HER AMAZING HOMEMADE CHEESECAKE (thank you, wonderful mom) YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SHARE IT WITH ANYONE. YOU SCARF THAT GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS SLICE DOWN, GIRL!
4. You can read. Do I need to continue after that ultimate, irrefutably perfect reason?
5. Say you have a test coming up in history and you spent the night before watching Gilmore Girls reruns or talking to your real friends who go to a different school on the phone until four AM? Now this lunch time is your uninterrupted study cram time!
6. Orrrrrrrr, y’know, uninterrupted sleep time.
7. Quality time with friends > company you are “ehhh” about, any day.
8. Because then you are that mysterious person who is sitting alone at lunch so cool and chill with it that you must be thinking way cooler things than everyone else.
9. So many people I know have said their most meaningful friendships came when they were in their undergrad years. If there is no one in your high school you want to spend lunchtime with, by all means, read, watch Netflix on your laptop, etc. Remember that the best lunch date years are the ones to come that arise naturally, and not because your school forces you into a terrible auditorium to eat defrosted burritos. Don’t despair if you haven’t found your people in high school. Repeat after me: I have plenty of time.
10. Never having to put up with On Wednesdays We Wear Pink days.
And most importantly…
11. The more time you spend by yourself, the more you get comfortable with your own company. You get to know the way you think, the things you dislike and the things you love, so when it comes time for every other lunch date you are bound to have, you will be better able to be yourself and be sure if yourself.
What’s your lunchtime routine? Are you solo and proud, or part of a good ol’ lunch gaggle?