Coming of Age in Mississippi
Important Quotations Explained
1. They were Negroes and we were also Negroes. I just didn’t see
Negroes hating each other so much.
2. I had to help secure that plate of dry beans.
3. It no longer seemed important to prove anything. I had found
something outside myself that gave meaning to my life.
4. We had “dreamers” instead of leaders leading us.
5. I WONDER. I really WONDER.
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!