Island of the Blue Dolphins
The island described in Island of the Blue Dolphins was first settled by Indians around 2000 B.C. It was discovered in 1602 by Spanish explorer Sebastian Viscanio, who named the island La Isla de San Nicolas. The girl of Island of the Blue Dolphins lived on the island from 1835 to 1853, and is known as The Lost Woman of San Nicolas. That she jumped off a boat sent to retrieve her people into the sea, that her brother was killed by wild dogs, and that she was found eighteen years later wearing a skirt of cormorant feathers, living in a house on the headland with a dog are all true.