Lord of the Flies
Important Quotations Explained
gathered a handful of stones and began to throw them. Yet there
was a space round Henry, perhaps six yards in diameter, into which
he dare not throw. Here, invisible yet strong, was the taboo of
the old life. Round the squatting child was the protection of parents
and school and policemen and the law.
mind was crowded with memories; memories of the knowledge that had
come to them when they closed in on the struggling pig, knowledge
that they had outwitted a living thing, imposed their will upon
it, taken away its life like a long satisfying drink.
I mean is . . . maybe it’s only us”
isn’t anyone to help you. Only me. And I’m the Beast. . . . Fancy
thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill! . . .
You knew, didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close! I’m
the reason why it’s no go? Why things are the way they are?”
wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man’s heart, and
the fall through the air of a true, wise friend called Piggy.
by iSpyChicken, October 03, 2012
1. Where were the boys going in the plane? Describe what happened to it.
2. Describe the island where the boys landed. What created the “Scar” on the island?
3. What does Piggy find? How is it used?
4. Who is chosen to be the chief? Why?
5. How does Jack wish to contribute to the survival of the boys?
177 out of 228 people found this helpful6
by laloca52411, October 05, 2012
piggy finds a conch . and they use it to call a meeting .
23 out of 96 people found this helpful4
by guardieforlife, October 07, 2012
1. the boys were hit by a(n?) (atom?) bomb
2. the "scar" is the crash site made by the plane in the jungle
3. piggy found the conch that is used to summon the boys by ralph. piggy has asthma, so he couldnt use the conch because he would run out of breath
4. ralph is chosen to be chief because he has the conch
5. jack is the leader of the hunters. the hunters are members of the choir and jack is the leader because he is 'chapter chorister and head boy'
100 out of 158 people found this helpful4