The Joys of Motherhood
Important Quotations Explained
1. Her love and duty for her children were like her chain of
2. Men here are too busy being white men’s servants to be men. We
women mind the home. Not our husbands. Their manhood has been taken away
from them. The shame is that they don’t know it.
3. She had been trying to be traditional in a modern urban setting.
It was because she wanted to be a woman of Ibuza in a town like Lagos that
she lost her child. This time she was going to play according to the new
4. On her way back to their room, it occurred to Nnu Ego that she was
a prisoner, imprisoned by her love for her children, imprisoned in her role
as the senior wife.
5. God, when will you create a woman who will be fulfilled in
herself, a full human being, not anybody’s appendage? she prayed
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!