Important Quotations Explained
1. And a couple of days later, she let me know it would be fine by
her if I married her daughter—a girl as black and ugly as the devil himself,
quite the opposite of my taste, which has always run to pretty
2. It just goes to show that persistence and hard work can perform
miracles, and it happens regularly—especially in the Indies!
3. And seeing that he was such a saintly man, and feeling as if I
might already be in the presence of God, I revealed myself to the bishop and
told him, “Senõr, all of this that I have told you . . . in truth, it is not
so. The truth is this: that I am a woman. . . .”
4. Brother Luis Ferrer de Valencia, who is a great man, arrived and
took my confession—and seeing as how I was about to die, I told him the
truth about myself.
5. At one point during the afternoon, I found myself chatting with
three cardinals, one of whom, Cardinal Magalón, told me that my only fault
was that I was a Spaniard. To this I replied, “With all due respect, your
Holiness, that is my only virtue.”
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!