Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman
Important Quotations Explained
1. Was my childhood a happy one? By the time I had grown and was a
young girl, I knew that my heart was usually happy. But when I was a small
child, I wasn’t aware enough of things to be able to think about whether I
was happy or sad.
2. I am an old woman and know about things, because whenever I hear
people talking, I listen.
3. Here, in a society of ancient traditions, men and women live
together in a nonexploitative manner, displaying a striking degree of
equality between the sexes—perhaps a lesson for our own society.
4. Zhun/twa men say that women are the chiefs, the rich ones, the
wise ones. Because women possess something very important, something that
enables men to live: their genitals.
5. That’s something that you, a woman, know about as
Readers' Notes allow users to add their own analysis and insights to our SparkNotes—and to discuss those ideas with one another. Have a novel take or think we left something out? Add a Readers' Note!