1. What is Plato’s aim in The Republic?
2. Which of Socrates’s interlocutors asserts
that justice is nothing but the advantage of the stronger?
3. Which of the following terms best describes
4. What advantage does the Ring of Gyges
confer on its wearers?
5. According to Glaucon, to which of the
following classes do the majority of people relegate justice?
6. According to Socrates what is the fundamental
principle on which all human society should be based?
7. Which of the following is not a term
applied to the first city Socrates describes?
8. Which of the following classes of society
populates the first city?
9. Which of the following is not considered
an important aspect of the warriors’ education?
10. What is the aim of the warriors’ education?
11. Which of the following is not considered
an aspect of the soul by Plato?
12. Which of the following statements is
13. Which of the following is not a characteristic
that marks the lifestyle of the guardians?
14. What is the main purpose in propagating
the myth of the metals among the citizens of the just city?
15. What is the role of women in the city?
16. What distinguishes the lover of sights
and sounds from the philosopher?
17. According to Socrates, what is the ultimate
subject of study for the philosopher-kings?
18. To which of the following does Socrates
compare the Form of the Good?
19. According to Socrates, what is the lowest
grade of cognitive activity?
20. What is the difference between thought
21. What does Socrates mean to illustrate
with the allegory of the cave?
22. At what age does a guardian finally
become a philosopher-king, provided that he passes through all of
the various tests?
23. Why is the philosopher king most fit
to rule the city?
24. Which of the following statements best
approximates Socrates’s attitude toward democracy?
25. How do we know that the philosopher’s
pleasure is the greatest possible pleasure?