Section One: The Log Cabin
Section two: Schooling
Section three: College Teaching
Section four: Politics
Section five: Civil War
Section six: Congress
Section seven: Hayes
Section eight: The Senate
Section nine: The Gentleman from Ohio
Section Ten: The Presidency
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. Garfield worked on what boat as a teen?
A canal boat
A river raft
2. What school did Garfield enter in 1849?
Western Reserve Eclectic Institute
3. How many students got honors in Garfield's Williams class?
4. What religious group did Garfield join?
5. How old was Garfield when he entered Congress?
6. Garfield fell ill with what disease during the Civil War?
7. At what age did Garfield begin keeping a journal?
8. Which close friend of Garfield's served as Lincoln's treasury secretary?
Salmon P. Chase
James G. Blaine
9. Which of the following schools did Garfield NOT consider attending?
10. Which job did Garfield list as his occupation while in Congress?
11. While in Congress, Garfield was involved in a scandal over what?
Overdrawn bank accounts
12. From 1871 to 1875, Garfield served as chair of what important senate committee?
Ways and Means
13. The Western Reserve Eclectic Institute later became known as what college?
14. Whom did Garfield officially support at the 1880 presidential convention?
James G. Blaine
15. Garfield once used a fire extinguisher to punish which son?
16. What was the highest rank Garfield achieved during the Civil War?
17. For which general did Garfield serve as chief of staff?
George H. Thomas
Don C. Buell
William S. Rosecrans
18. What landmark court case did Garfield argue in front of the Supreme Court?
Ex parte Merryman
Ex parte Milligan
Dred Scott v. U.S.
Brown v. Board of Education
19. Where did Garfield teach?
Western Reserve College
20. Which party opposed Garfield's fiscal policies in 1878?
The "Free Soilers"
21. What event did Garfield's Secretary of State organize?
The inaugural ball
The first pan-American conference
A peace treaty with Canada
22. Garfield defeated which Democrat for the presidency?
Winfield Scott Hancock
23. Who was Garfield's vice president?
Chester A. Arthur
Rutherford B. Hayes
24. Garfield fought which New York Senator for control of the New York Customs House?
25. Who shot Garfield?
Lee Harvey Oswald
John Wilkes Booth
Charles Julius Guiteau
26. Garfield's death helped spur what legislation?
civil service reform
conversion to gold currency
electoral college reform
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from
15 of the Funniest Quotes in Literature
10 Classic Lit Quotes That Would Make Great Pick-Up Lines
18 Literary Quotes That Will Break Your Heart, But Only if You've Read the Book
6 of the Most Messed-Up Books We All Had to Read for School