World War I
The Zeeman Principle
Onset of the Nazi Regime
World War II
Reconstruction to the Final Years
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. For what year did Heisenberg win the Nobel Prize?
2. In what year did Heisenberg actually receive the Nobel Prize?
3. What was August Heisenberg's field?
4. What was the alternative to matrix mechanics called?
5. To what principle did Bohr extend the uncertainty principle?
6. Which colleague recognized the matrix multiplication rules in Heisenberg's work?
7. On how many published papers did Heisenberg and Pauli collaborate?
8. Where did Heisenberg receive his first full professorship appointment?
9. Whom did Heisenberg succeed as Born's assistant?
10. What Munich professor almost failed Heisenberg because of his incompetence in experimental physics?
11. What was Heisenberg's brother's name?
12. What instrument did Heisenberg play for most of his life?
13. What was the emphasis of Heisenberg's gymnasium education placed on?
Greek and Latin
14. What philosopher did Heisenberg read while working on a farm in 1918?
15. What was one of the central differences between Schrödinger's and Heisenberg's pictures of the atom?
Continuity vs. discontinuity
Mathematics-based vs. philosophy-based
Theory-based vs. experiment-based
Correct results vs. incorrect results
16. On what subject did Heisenberg write his doctoral thesis?
17. In what year did Heisenberg receive the Max Planck Medal?
18. With what level of honors did Heisenberg receive his doctorate?
19. Whose quantum postulate did Heisenberg's Zeeman principle modify?
20. At what school was Heisenberg habilitated in 1924?
21. What theory attempted to abandon the laws of energy and momentum conservation?
Pauli exclusion principle
22. Which one of the following was not a coauthor of the matrix mechanics paper?
23. Who theorized the existence of a "dark point"?
24. Who coauthored the paper on dispersion with Heisenberg?
25. How old was Heisenberg when he became Germany's youngest full professor?
26. Who was Heisenberg's experimentalist counterpart at Leipzig?
27. Who discovered the neutron?
28. Who intervened on Heisenberg's behalf when he came under the attack of Nazi propaganda?
29. What aging scientist encouraged Heisenberg not to resign and leave Germany?
30. For what work was Heisenberg awarded the Nobel Prize?
31. To what directorship was Heisenberg promoted in 1942?
Max Planck Institute
Kaiser Wilhelm Institute
Institute for Advanced Study
32. What was the cause of Heisenberg's death?
33. The uncertainty principle asserts the impossibility of exactly measuring which two variables simultaneously?
Velocity and mass
Mass and position
Mass and momentum
Position and velocity
34. In what year did Heisenberg receive his doctorate?
35. What was the age difference between Heisenberg and his wife?
36. How many children did Heisenberg have?
37. Whom did Heisenberg NOT serve as assistant?
38. Why did Heisenberg relocate to Munich in 1910?
His father was appointed to a new chair there
Conditions in his hometown were becoming unbearable
His family wanted him to attend school there
His father lost his job in their hometown
39. What influential position did Heisenberg's maternal grandfather hold?
Rector of the Maximilians-Gymnasium
Chair of the Greek philology department at Munich
Chair of the Munich faculty committee
Chancellor of Germany
40. What is the highest rank August Heisenberg attained?
41. What was Heisenberg's youth movement group known as?
Youth for Social Justice
Bavarian Youth Society
42. Who was Robert Honsell?
An early childhood friend
A science teacher at the Maximilians-Gymnasium
A youth movement companion well versed in philosophy
A scientific nemesis at Munich
43. What other career did Heisenberg seriously consider?
44. What was Heisenberg intending to study when he first went to Munich?
45. With whom did Heisenberg coauthor a paper modifying his own Zeeman principle?
46. How many siblings did Heisenberg have?
47. What kind of series was involved in expressing the amplitude of virtual oscillators?
48. Where did Heisenberg turn down a chair in 1926?
49. Why did Heisenberg turn down that chair?
To recover from illness
To work in Copenhagen
To wait for a better opportunity
To avoid an undesirable location
50. Which of the following should never mix, in Heisenberg's opinion?
Science and politics
Politics and religion
Science and art
Art and religion
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from
The 7 Most Savage Moments in Shakespeare
15 of the Funniest Quotes in Literature
18 Literary Quotes That Will Break Your Heart, But Only if You've Read the Book
6 of the Most Messed-Up Books We All Had to Read for School