From Ireland to the New World 1837–1859
Young Adulthood: A Teacher, a Mother, a Worker 1859–1886
Labor Activist: Becoming Mother Jones 1886–1902
The Most Dangerous Woman in America 1902–1904
The Children's Crusade and the Socialist Party 1903–1911
Back to the Miners 1911–1913
The Colorado Coal War 1913–1915
Her Other Battles 1913–1919
Steel Strike 1919
Her Last Years 1920–1930
Key Terms and Events
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. Where was Marry Harris born?
2. In 1905, Mother Jones participated in the founding of which radical organization?
The United Mine Workers
The Western Federation of Mine Workers
The American Federation of Labor
The Industrial Workers of the World
3. Where did Mary Harris work as a dressmaker?
4. Which of the following historical events did Mother Jones NOT experience?
The Chicago Fire of 1871
The Yellow Fever Epidemic
The Boston Tea Party
The Irish Potato Famine
5. What was the term used to describe the late nineteenth-century in American history?
The Gilded Age
The Era of Wars
6. Where and how did Mother Jones lose all of her children and her husband?
In Colorado, due to a mining accident
In Memphis, due to a mining accident
In Chicago, due to the Great Fire
In Memphis, due to yellow fever
7. What event led to the conviction and execution of four anarchist leaders?
The Chicago Fire
The Anthracite Strike
World War I
The Haymarket Tragedy
8. With what leftist paper was Mother Jones involved?
The New York Times
The Chicago Tribune
The Appeal to Reason
9. When did the Haymarket Tragedy occur?
10. Which union leader met with President Roosevelt during the anthracite strike?
11. What was the result of the Anthracite Strike of 1902?
Failure for the UMW
Government control of the mines
Success for the UMW
A shutdown of all mining operations
12. Where was the Western Federation of Miners based?
The Rocky Mountain states
13. Who was in the "broom and mop" brigades?
The wives of miners
14. What was the purpose of the "broom and mop" brigades?
To sweep union halls
To clean workers' homes
To intimidate strikebreakers
To clean the mines
15. Who was the owner of the anthracite mines?
16. Why was the strike in West Virginia in 1902 unsuccessful?
The miners did not want a strike
The mine operators shut down the mines
A war started
The union organizers were quickly imprisoned
17. What percentage of miners walked out on strike in Colorado in 1903?
18. Why did the strike in Colorado between 1903 and 1904 not succeed?
Some miners reached a compromise, while others were still on strike
The miners voted unanimously not to strike
The US Army stopped the strike
Mother Jones became sick
19. When did Mother Jones first resign from her position in the UMW?
20. Which of the following was NOT a reason for Mother Jones' resignation from the UMW?
Disagreement with the leadership
Disillusionment with the workers
21. Who was the leader of US Steel in 1919?
22. What improvements in workers' lives came from the steel strike of 1919?
They were offered health care
No improvements were made
They received a wage increase
The work-day was reduced to eight hours from ten
23. Where did Mother Jones march with child workers?
From Philadelphia to Washington, D.C.
From California to West Virginia
From Colorado to Idaho
From Philadelphia to New York
24. Where were the children in Mother Jones's Children's March employed?
25. Which political party did Mother Jones work for?
The Communist Party
The Democratic Party
The Socialist Party
The Libertarian Party
26. What radical Mexican group did Mother Jones support in the 1900s?
The Diaz Government
El Partido Mexicano
El Partido Liberal Mexicano
El Partido Anarquista
27. When was the Diaz government in Mexico overthrown?
28. Where did the cheapest coal come from in 1911?
29. What kind of business strategies did Rockefeller embark upon after the Colorado Coal War emphasize?
Permanently dividing the workers
A massive public relations campaigns
Increasing the use of violence
Decreasing workers' wages as punishment
30. What was the name of the free town in West Virginia where Mother Jones held meetings?
31. On which tent colony in West Virginia did mine operators open fire?
32. Which of the following were not demands made by Colorado workers in 1913?
An eight-hour day
A retirement Plan
33. What weapons did mine guards often use against strikers?
34. Who was President Wilson most angry with during the Colorado Coal War?
The mine owners
The union organizers
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Classic Novels Summed Up in
7 Disturbing Details from Classic Novels (That You Probably Don't Remember)
5 Famous Books Whose Original Titles Would Have Changed Everything
Everything YA Literature Lied to Me About