1. Discuss the appearances Dracula makes throughout the novel. What does Stoker achieve by keeping his title character in the shadows for so much of the novel?
2. Discuss Van Helsing’s role as Dracula’s antagonist. Why is the old Dutch professor the most threatening adversary to the count?
3. Discuss the roles of Mina Harker and Lucy Westenra. How are the women similar? How are they different? Why, in your opinion, is Lucy the first to fall under Dracula’s spell?
4. Discuss Dracula in relation to modernity. What, for instance, are the novel’s attitudes toward scientific advancements?
5. What is the role of geography in the novel? How do Stoker’s choices of setting conform to the principles of Gothic fiction? How do they depart from these principles?