Ibsen, Henrik. 4 Major Plays. Rick Davis and Brian Johnston, trans. Lyme, NH: Smith and Kraus, 1995.
Ibsen, Henrik. The Collected Works of Henrik Ibsen. New York: Scribners, 1929.
Ibsen: A Collection of Critical Essays. Rolf Fjelde, ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1965.
Northram, John. Ibsen: A Critical Study. Cambridge, England: Cambridge UP, 1973.
• The term “freethinking” is used often in the play… almost every characters except the mayor and Aslaksan are freethinkers.
• It is not Ibsen’s intent to create a play of food vs. Evil.
• The play is written in the late 19th century
• The play in many ways is about the extent to which the individual innocence can survive in modern society
• In 3rd act we see that the newspaper men are against him.
• Hovstad is not a reliable character, his support is for his attraction to Petra
• The... Read more→
94 out of 113 people found this helpful