Daphne du Maurier
Summary & Analysis
Full Book Quiz
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What does the name "Manderley" denote?
The first name of the heroine's husband
The name of a mansion
The name of a boat
The last name of the heroine's husband
2. What is the name of
Her name is never revealed
3. In what capacity does the heroine work for Mrs. Van Hopper?
4. Where does the heroine first meet Maxim de Winter?
5. What was the name of Maxim's first wife?
He did not have a first wife
6. What is the name of the housekeeper at Manderley?
7. What is the name of Maxim's sister?
8. In which wing of Manderley was Rebecca's bedroom?
The west wing
The north wing
The east wing
The south wing
9. Who is Ben?
The overseer of Manderley
A retarded man in Monte Carlo
A retarded man who lives near Manderley
10. What is the name of one of Maxim's dogs?
11. What is Jack Favell's relationship to Rebecca?
He has no relation to her
12. How does the heroine dress at Manderley's costume ball?
A woman in a painting
13. Who suggests her costume at the party?
Mrs. Van Hopper
14. At one point in the book, Mrs. Danvers urges the heroine to jump from the window. What interrupts the scene?
Rockets go off to celebrate the end of the party
Rockets go off to signal that a ship has run aground
Maxim walks in on the two women
Frank walks in on the two women
15. What is the name of the butler at Manderley?
16. What does everyone believe was the cause of Rebecca's death?
A hunting accident
17. How did Rebecca really die?
Maxim shot her
Favell shot her
18. The night she died, what did Rebecca tell Maxim?
That she was pregnant
That she was sleeping with Favell
That she was dying
That she was going to kill herself
19. The coroner's verdict, after Rebecca's body turns up, is that she died:
20. Of what does Favell accuse Maxim of having done?
Bribed the coroner
Tried to murder him
Tried to murder the heroine
21. Whom does Favell try to get to testify against Maxim?
22. Where do Maxim and the heroine first encounter the name "Baker"?
In Rebecca's will
In Rebecca's letter to Favell
In Rebecca's appointment book
In Maxim's diary
23. What does Dr. Baker reveal?
Rebecca was dying of cancer
Rebecca was pregnant
Rebecca was a man
He never examined Rebecca
24. What else does the doctor reveal?
That Favell was not the father of Rebecca's child
That Rebecca was sterile
That he gave Rebecca poison
That Rebecca said she was going to kill herself
25. When Maxim and the heroine drive home from London, what do they find?
Police are waiting to arrest Maxim
Mrs. Danvers has killed herself
Rebecca's ghost has been seen walking the halls of Manderley
Manderley is burning
Context Quick Quiz
From the SparkNotes Blog
7 Disturbing Details from Classic Novels (That You Probably Don't Remember)
Classic Novels Summed Up in
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
In Defense of Daisy Buchanan
5 Famous Books Whose Original Titles Would Have Changed Everything